Frequently Asked Questions
- I'm a new resident. Do you have a listing of utility companies?
Please visit the Township Municipal Office to receive your "Welcome to Forks Township" packet of important information including generalities covering every department within the Township.
Below is a listing of some utility companies you can contact when moving into your new home:
- Easton Suburban Water Authority: 610-258-7181
Sewer & Garbage
- Forks Township Municipal Building: 610-258-5909
- UGI Corporation: 800-276-2722
- Met Ed Corporation: 800-545-7741
- Verizon: 800-660-2215
- RCN: 800-RING-RCN
- Service Electric: 610-865-9100
- Direct TV: 1-888-777-2454 (cable and internet only)
- Who do I call in case of an emergency?
- Emergencies: Dial 911
- Non-Emergency: 610-759-2200
- What hospitals are in our area?
- Lehigh Valley Hospital: 610-402-2273
- St. Lukes Hospital: 610-954-4000
- What important phone numbers should I keep handy?
- Administration of Aging: 202-619-0724
- Administration for Community Living: 202-401-4634
- DEP (Department of Environmental Protection): 866-255-5158
- IRS (Internal Revenue Services): 800-829-1040
- National Capital Poison Center: 800-222-1222
- Social Security: 800-772-1213
- Medicare: 800-633-4227
- PennDot Motor Vehicle Services: 800-932-4600
- What are the phone numbers to my state officials?
- Senator, Lisa Boscola (D) - District 18 - 610-868-8667
- Representative, Ann Flood (R) - District 138 - 610-746-2100
- Governor, Josh Shapiro (D) - 717-787-2500
- Congresswoman, Susan Wild (D) - 7th Congressional District - 610-333-1170
- What are the phone numbers to Northampton County Services?
- Animal Health and Welfare: 610-252-7722
- Easton Public Library: 610-258-2917
- Easton Area School District: 610-250-2400
- Housing Authority: 610-759-8488
- Two Rivers Chamber of Commerce: 610-231-5320
- Office of Veteran Affairs: 610-559-3199
- United States Post Office (Rocky's Forks Hardware) 610-515-9800
- Where can we pick up a Recycling Container?
New Residents may pick up a Recycling Container at the Forks Township Public Works Building, located at 100 Newlins Road East, Easton, PA. from 6:30 am to 3 pm. Monday through Friday or call 610-438-2670. Residents will be asked for proof of their name and address. Upon verification, they will be provided a recycling container.
- What if our can is damaged?
Please call 610-438-2670 and we will have someone check out the cause and determine if there is a $15 fee to replace or not.
- What permits are required when moving to Forks Township?
Moving Permits Required - Ordinance Number 143
A moving permit is required when moving "from" or "within" Forks Township. "Within" means:
Residents who already live in the Township (and are moving from one house to another) and will continue living in the township. When moving into the township a moving permit is not required, however we do ask that you contact the Township office at 610-258-5909 to inform us of the day you will moving in. The charge for a moving permit is $5. Please call the township office for any additional information you may need.
- What are the requirements for voting?
- You must be 18 years of age by election day.
- You must be a United States Citizen.
- You must have resided in your election district for a minimum of 30 days before voting.
- You must be registered.
- County Voter Registration Office: 670 Wolf Avenue, Easton, Pa. 18042 610-559-3055) or
- Visit the Northampton County Voter Registration website.
- What is the School District in Forks Township?
Easton Area School District Administration: 610-250-2400
- Where is the Tax Assessor's Office located?
Northampton County Court House
669 Washington Street
Easton, PA 18042
- Where are the Forks Township meetings held each month?
Board of Supervisors:
- First Thursday of each month beginning at 7 pm at Municipal Building - Workshop
- Third Thursday of each month beginning at 7 pm at Municipal Building - Regular Meeting
- Exceptions: First Thursday in January and other possible holiday conflicts.
- Work sessions may precede or follow any regularly scheduled BOS Meeting.
- Second Thursday of each month at 7 pm at Municipal Building - Regular meeting
- Fourth Tuesday of each month at 7 pm at Municipal Building - Workshop
Zoning Hearing Board:
- Second and Third Monday as required at Municipal Building
- Monday of each week at 7 pm at Fire Department
- How do I get a dog license application?
All dogs 3 months and over are required to be licensed annually.
Dog License Applications are available at the Municipal Building, 1606 Sullivan Trail.
The Application should be completed and mailed to the County Treasurer's Office located at 669 Washington Street, Easton, PA 18042 or call the County Treasurers Office at 610-559-3102.
Please note: If you are applying for a license that requires the dog owner to be a senior citizen, (Age 65 and older) or a person with a disability, you must provide proof of age or disability to the County Treasurer or Agent.
- How do I reserve a pavilion for a family function?
Pavilion rentals may be scheduled by contacting the Community Center at 610-250-2260.
- Where do I get an application for a Block Party?
Applications for Block Party Requests (PDF) are now available. Please fill out the necessary information requested and return the form to the Municipal Office to obtain approval.
- Where do I get Complaint Forms?
When a resident is filing a complaint regarding Township roads, pot holes, plowing, etc, a formal Complaint Form (PDF) is required to be filled out and returned to the Department of Public Works.
- Where do I get a permit for garage / yard sales?
A permit is not required when holding a garage/ yard sale however, it is required notification. Any resident wanting to hold a garage / yard sale must contact the township office with the following information before the sale.
- Name and telephone number
- Location of sale
- Date of sale
- Time sale will be held (from and to)
- Please contact the township office with this information by calling 610-252-0785
Due to heavy traffic concerns, this information is then forwarded to the Forks Township Police Department.
- What is the Forks "EMS" Tax?
On January 3, 2005, the Forks Township Board of Supervisors adopted Ordinance 290, which established the Emergency and Municipal Services Tax. The tax is $52 per calendar year for all non-exempt persons working in the township.
Any worker whose total income from all sources is less than $12,000 per calendar year is exempt from the tax. The worker must send the township a written claim for the exemption each year, with supporting documentation.
The Emergency and Municipal Services Tax replaced the Occupation Privilege Tax. The purpose of the Emergency and Municipal Services Tax is to collect a tax from all persons who work in the township and utilize the township's municipal services, including those persons who do not live in the Township.
- What do I need to know about Real Estate Taxes?
As a property owner in Forks Township, you will receive three real estate tax bills per year. They are:
- Forks Township Real Estate Taxes
- Northampton County Real Estate Taxes
- Easton Area School District Real Estate Taxes
The current millage rates are as follows:
- Forks Township 7.5 mils
- Northampton County 10.8 mils
- Easton Area Schools 66.68 mils
Northampton County Tax Bills
Tax bills are sent out from and paid to Northampton County.
Forks Township Real Estate Tax Bills - (Property)
Tax bills are sent out in early February. If a mortgage company pays your taxes, it is the property owner's responsibility to send the tax bill to their mortgage company. The tax bill is discounted by 2% if paid by April 1st. If the tax bill is not paid in discount, the base rate applies until May 31st.
After May 31st all unpaid tax bills have a 10% penalty added. Each year, township real estate taxes that are unpaid as of December 31st are turned over to Tax Claim office at Northampton County.
Forks Township Real Estate Tax Bills - (School)
Tax bills are sent out in early July. The school tax year is a fiscal year running from July 1st through June 30 the following year. If a mortgage company pays your taxes, it is the property owner's responsibility to send the tax bill to their mortgage company. This tax bill is discounted by 2% if paid by September 1st. If the tax bill is not paid in discount, the base rate applies until November 1st. After November 1st, a 10% penalty will be added to all unpaid tax bills. The school district also offers an installment plan for paying real estate taxes. The base rate is divided into four equal payments and the first installment payment must be made by August 15th. Thereafter, an installment payment is due On October 15th, December 15th, and February 15th. If an installment payment is late in being paid, a 10% penalty will be added to the payment. Each year, school real estate taxes that are unpaid as of April 15th are turned over to the Tax Claim office at Northampton County.
Interim Real Estate Bills
An interim tax bill (supplemental bill) is an addition to the tax duplicate due to an improvement to your parcel. The county assessment office sends changes to local taxing districts. An interim bill is produced at the local tax rate and is reduced proportionately to the number of months remaining in the tax year. Interim taxes will have a different discount, face and penalty period than the original duplicate.
- Where can I get a Tax Certification Request form?
Tax Certifications are $ 20 each, checks should be made payable to "Anne Bennett-Morse". You can also contact Anne Bennett-Morse by calling 610-250-2254 on Tuesdays between the hours of 8 am and noon and on Thursdays from noon to 4 pm
- What is the process to install a by-pass meter?